Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Inspiring hair: Betty Grable

As a girl with a high forehead I sometimes find it difficult to do something flattering with my hair when it comes to vintage. Which is why I loved my bettie bangs. Sadly the collided with a cow lick, my overall wavy hair and my always lost fight to keep them absolutely perfect no matter how bad the weather. So I´ve been growing them out for a few months now. Now what to do with that forehead? I figured I might not be the only one with that "problem" (first world problems, anyone?) and decided to start a series featuring starlets rocking or hiding that high forehead. And I´d like to start with Betty Grable who´s worn a lot of great hair dos over the years. Maybe this is an inspiration to some :)

source
Maybe her most well known hair do.



source

source
source
source
perfect on many levels
source
source
source
one of my favorites
source
How about a curly updo? Either polished...
source
...or wild?
source
With June Haver, who might be featured in this category as well.
The ribbon could easily be replaced with a flower.
source
All in all I have to say that, although breaking the rule of "don´t you ever accentuate that nasty high forehead with high hair" that is once in a while given, Betty Grable pretty much always looks amazing. I for my part will try some of my favorite dos of hers like the updo with curly bangs and that last one with the decorative scarf. I will report if I succeed!
I hope you enjoyed this little series and maybe felt a bit inspired, too. I´d also appreciated if you would name other vintage ladies with prominent foreheads in the comments so I can do some research on them.

5 comments:

  1. Betty's hair could truly do no wrong in my books! I wish I could wake up with her amazing locks tomorrow morning.

    This is a really interesting topic and one that I can certainly relate to as well (having a bit of a high forehead, too). I suppose everyone's definitely of what classifies as a prominent and/or high forehead is different, but a few other starlets that you might put into this category would be Lucile Ball, Olivia de Havilland, Vivien Leigh, Dorothy Lamour, Norma Shearer, and Merle Oberon.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. bild no 3 von oben ist sehr inspirierend. damit werde ich mal was ausprobieren ... vermutlich mit weniger lockenpracht bri meinem ignorantem haar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there everyone, it's my first go to see at this web site, and piece of writing is truly fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these content.

    Also visit my homepage ... tassimo coffee maker

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I high forehead is a bad thing - strong features are good and must be celebrated!

    Love,

    Emy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a high forehead too, so I know what you mean...But I think it can be really elegant to show it off - like Betty does! :) I love that "You wanna rub my pearl?" line, that you wrote about the vagina hat! Haha!!! Now I want to go out wearing it, just so I can say that to someone! ;D xox

    ReplyDelete