Saturday, December 1, 2012

November´s over and I´m back

I found the ultimate cheap solution to my laptop problem: Dig out your 8 year old but still working laptop, have your parents send you the matching cable (no idea why it was at their house...) and there you go. It´s a bit slow but better than nothing. Or spending money that we´re saving for a planned appartment move next year.

Talking about spending money, I did some shopping. First I bought this jacket:


It´s by H&M and I feel bad about that. I had been looking for that perfect jacket on ebay and dawanda (some kind of german etsy, just with a lot less vintage) and sooner or later became desperate because nothing got me excited or matched my budget or the seller didn´t respond to my question. And when I saw this little over-the-top-piece in theH&M onlineshop I remembered a pattern from 1939 that I have in my collection that made me all Ooooh and Aaaaah. And then I prepared the winter-inspiration-post and bam! I had to try it. See picture below for reason ;)

Big fur collars, I love you!


I have to say that the quality is just what you´d expect when shopping at H&M. The sleeves started to pill after one(!) week and the lining inside the sleeves seems to be a bit long. I didn´t remove the price tag for two weeks because I thought that maybe the perfect vintage piece would pop up. Nothing like that happened, of course. So I just hope that this jacket will last through 2 or 3 winters like its predecessor.

And because I love the whole skiiing/winter sport look I went with a matching pair of shoes. I´m not the biggest fan of the buckle and esp. the useless letters but they are warm, comfortable and snow appropriate, something that is very important because there´s a snow guarantee for where I work:

shoes by Deichmann
I want to sew a nice pair of pants to match. I´ll reuse an old pair of corduroy pants from the Mr. for that. No money for fabric. We´ll see how that goes.
And then there was this hat I was knitting. You know, this one:






Well, somewhere something went terribly one. I tried to make this whole thing up today and it is all wonky and doesn´t match and looks like something the smurfs would wear for winter. Booh! So I don´t have a matching hat for my scarf but a lot of yarn to make...errr...I don´t know yet. A muff maybe? I hate that I wasted time and excitement on this!

The only vintage purchases I did lately are a filled photo album and a few more assorted photos of strangers for my collection (clicketyclick).

Oh, and just in case you asked yourself: What the hell is wrong with that window frame in the first picture? Our appartment got a balcony. Or, to be exact, the window and door for a balcony. In November. Who does such kind of thing? They cut a huge hole into our bedroom wall and it was freaking cold. Not to mention that the new window frames are smaller than the old one and now we have this ugly foam sticking out everywhere. And  ripped wallpaper. And pieces of bricks sticking out. But no balcony yet. The only positive aspects of the whole process are the higher amount of light in the bedroom (not that there´s much light in winter) and this funky wallpaper we found behind the old radiator:





I´m so happy to be back :)

5 comments:

  1. That is seriously odd about deciding to put in a balcony in November. They were forever doing maintenance work on the balconies at our old apartment building in Toronto, but miraculously ours (we had two, one off the living room, one off the master bedroom) never needed any work done, or else we might have had a whole in our wall in the middle of winter, too. I really hope they finish up soon and give you back your apartment sans gaping hole!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best description for DaWanda :-)
    At first view H&M did a good job, good repro by accident ;-) ...but we all know the problem with the quality, pieces were made to last only a season...
    Hope they fix your balcony soon...brrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ich hoffe ich hab' alles verstanden - ich hasse englisch ;)

    Die Jacke von H&M hat mich auch angelächelt, aber der groooße Kragen und die Tatsache, dass es halt H&M ist, haben dann dagegen gesprochen. Mal sehen ob ich einen möglichen Sale lang auch standhaft bleibe, aber Dir steht die Jacke schon wieder zu verführerisch gut.. nein, nein, nein! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jessica Me too :) It seems like they´ll be back soon (not only Schwarzenegger made this sound like a threat) to rip out the new radiator again so they can fix the wall and the funky foam. Sure, why not, it´s just freezing cold. Take that radiator with you!

    @Susan: Yep, it feels like the quality becomes worse every year. A few years ago I could buy something and wear and wash it on a weekly base for at least one or two years but now you wash something 5 times and it lost all it´s colour and fit. But as long as most people don´t care...

    @SwinginCat Ich liebe gerade den großen Kragen. Ein bischen übertrieben halt ;)Und erstaunlicherweise hält sie tatsächlich warm. Ich hab diese Woche schon zweimal ne Stunde im Schneetreiben rumstehen müssen (öffentliche Verkehrsmittel, juhu!)und erst nach 45 min angefangen zu frieren. Für meine Verhältnisse ist das ne Ewigkeit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moin!
    Wusste gar nicht, dass du auch einen Vintage-Blog hast!
    Was man alles so erfährt, wenn man sich mal durchklickt :D

    Das H&M Jäcksche habe ich auch anprobiert. Ein paar cm länger und ich hätte sie sicher gekauft... Für den richtigen Winter ist die irgendwie nichts für mich :( Muss schon über den Bobbes gehen^^

    LG
    Marlène :o)

    ReplyDelete