Thursday, December 6, 2012

Fabric expert wanted







Many moons ago I mentioned that I wanted to alter this huge dress I bought for 1€. Well, turns out that resizing doesn´t do the trick as it´s pretty much shapeless. So I found a pattern that would allow me to reuse all the fabric this dress has to offer and I started to open all seams, highly motivated. It quickly turned out that velvet is a very unforgiving material. My question is: does any of you ladies know how I can get rid of the marks of old seams? Brushing doesn´t seem to do the trick and I would love to work with the material I have (because it doesn´t cost me anything ;)).

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried steaming it somehow? That's how I get rid of nasty marks like that, but I don't know how you'd do it with this much material, exactly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely (!) by no means a sewing expert, but part of me is wondering if perhaps you could try using a pressing cloth and an iron set on a very low setting to try get rid of some of the marks. I bought a velvet blazer once that was in mint condition save for a couple of strange indents (almost like it, despite being a jacket, had been hung by a hanger with clips on it) near the shoulders, and I was able to get them out via this method.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of steam usually does the trick. You may need to spray it lightly with water first. Use either another piece of velvet on top, right sides together, or a fluffy towel against the pile, and press gently with lots of steam. A light brush while it's damp from the steam can help lift any crushed pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ich rücke Nahtstellen und Abdrücken in Samt auch mit Dampf zu Leibe. Dabei setze ich das Bügeleisen nicht auf, sondern dampfe den Stoff nur stark an und bürste den Flor dann vorsichtig wieder etwas auf. Zusätzlich könnte vielleicht auch noch Krauseminzwasser helfen (http://www.patin-a.de/pi/Krauseminzwasser.html). Falls ich mit meinem Kommentar nicht überhaupt schon zu spät bin ;-)

    ReplyDelete