Friday, September 28, 2012

Stop, Dirndl time!

It´s Oktoberfest time. The time of year when quite a lot of people go crazy, get drunk and, for once in a year, wear traditional clothing. Some people might think that Dirndl and Lederhose are the epitome of traditional german clothing but don´t be fooled, it´s mainly found in the alps region. You´ll hardly ever find people in the North wearing them (except if there´s an Oktoberfest-party going on ;)). Still, when I was a kid (we´re talking about 7 year old me) I owned a Lederhose. I don´t know how I got it as we lived really up north and my mum is absolutely no fan of traditional clothing, not to speak of bavarian. Anyway, this Lederhose wasn´t for fashion, it was for functionality. Nothing´s as sturdy as leather, perfect for play time. But the fact that I still remember owning it says something, I think. I def. wouldn´t mind wearing one again. But what I´d love to own even more is a dirndl. The variety is huge and it´s hard to not look super feminine in it.
Jessica shows her amazing dirndl in her latest (very well researched) post and mentions that the definition of what a "real" dirndl has to look like is rather vague, so I figured it would be a nice idea to share a wide selection of the various styles called "Dirndl" in vintage magazines. Because I´m not into researching facts. I only do pictures, mkay? ;)












totally not my favorite













via Sew something vintage


via Sew something vintage
via Couturette
via Couturette
via Couturette
via Couturette


So, what do we learn from all this? A dirndl is often worn with an apron. But not always. A dirndl often has puffy sleeves. But not always. A dirndl is often made out of patterned fabric. But not always. The only thing all these dresses have in common is the wider skirt. Because, let´s face it, a pencil skirt would be pretty impractical in the mountains. I think with dirndls it´s the same as with sandwiches. There´s no real rule about it, but you know one when you see one.

I hope you enjoyed this little excursion and I´d be glad to hear your opinions on dirndls. Do you like them or do they rather hurt your eyes? Are they ultimately feminine or horribly folcloristic?

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, Katrin honey, thank you so very much for mentioning my vintage dirndl outfit. I'm beyond smitten with each any every vintage dirndl image you included in this wonderful post. Soooo bookmarking it for potential futures CV posts on this topic.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a incredible knowledge about Oktoberfest traditional festival I found. Dirndl outfit images are rare to find. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete